I love saying grace before eating: offering a gratitude before I enter into the act of nourishing my body and soul, and preferably nourishing friends as well. I find it interesting the grace became a lost ritual when fast food became .... well so dang fast. And maybe that is the answer. Do we really feel thankful for a twinkie or hoho? Do we really want to acknowledge the cheez whiz? Maybe if when I sit down to eat (or don't sit down to eat) and I don't say grace - it is a sign that I am about to ingest something that is not healing, or nourishing, or maybe not even really food.
The case for grace is this: eat when you are thankful, not mad or sad. Eat what you are truly grateful for. Eat with friends and cook for them. If you cannot boil water, cook for them anyway. Better yet, have them teach you! Food crosses all boundaries. It is how we show comfort, show joy, show support, find common ground. And yes, how we show gratitude.
In thanks,
amen.
ReplyDeleteBeautifully said. I forget all the time to express gratefulness for what I'm eating, that is, in a ritualistic way, though I usually enjoy the food and feel grateful. Does that work? Just feeling grateful?
ReplyDeleteMisha, I love your blog! I can hear your voice in your writing. Isn't it fascinating how taking a moment for gratitude can actually shift you into parasympathetic mode and enhance digestion. Maybe all these stressed CEOs with acid reflux just need to slow down and give thanks?
ReplyDelete